We are busy. We all are just busy. Busy with work, busy with the kids, busy with stuff that we shouldn't be busy with, busy with life.
We hardly take any time out of the day to relax and unwind. We are living in a day and age where watching TV and hanging on the couch is relaxing. When we do this, our phone is continuously distracting us. We are never just 'off'. I am even wearing a smart watch where I get notifications on, it vibrates every time I get a message. SO DISTRACTING! I am always online and ready to reply to 'important' messages. It is even that bad that I am writing this on my laptop and there are notifications popping up on my screen, my phone and my watch. How am I suppose to get any work done?
Technology... Am I right? ;)
Going through quite the mental health journey myself, I can finally see what it is like to be fully relaxed. Therefor I am giving you ten of my own personal tips that hopefully work for you too!
1. TURN YOUR PHONE ON AIRPLANE MODE FOR ONE HOUR A DAY. I wrote this in capitals as I feel like this one doesn't need to be explained (read the first part one more time ;))
2. Go for a walk. This could be as easy as walking down your street and back. Smell the outdoors, watch the trees and listen to the birds. Being aware of your surroundings can calm the mind.
3. Exercise. If you are already feeling highly stressed, exercise can be good and bad. You don't want to put your body through more stressed by HIIT training. Listen to your body, feel what you need. You are the best judge.
4. Read a book. I always thought I couldn't read books. They were boring. I recently finished "The Plant Paradox" in about a week. Couldn't put the book down! Turns out: I just need to find something I find interesting, haha.
5. Have a cup of tea. Again, put your phone down. Sit in a comfy spot and focus on just drinking your tea.
6. Breathing exercises. My favourite lately! I particularly like box breathing. Breathe in for 4 seconds, hold for 4 seconds, breathe out for 4s and hold for 4s. Continue this process. It takes a bit of practice.
7. Plan ahead. If you have been following me for a while, you know that I love planning. When I don't, I feel incredibly overwhelmed. The process of planning my week relaxes me and it usually ends up not being as 'busy' as I thought it would be.
8. Listen to music/podcasts. Put your head phones on and really listen. Every time you mind wonders off, gently bring it back.
9. Beach. Swim, walk, surf, lay, sit. Rain, hail or sunshine. Did you know that the amount of water in the human body ranges from 50-75%? We are water... No wonder we like to swim in the ocean.
10. Your hobby. This is probably the most important think. Let's call it our time melter. We get in the zone. Our mind is on nothing else. Our focus is great, no distractions and it boost your mood.
(11. Yoga. I wanted to add this one in there as a bonus. It mostly distracts me, because I can't quite get the poses right... I love the breathing and really focussing on yourself)
Find ONE hour every day where you think about YOU!
What do you find relaxing?